17 minutes read
Are you a proud owner of a mansion or a big apartment? If yes, you must surely be looking for the Best WiFi router for a Large House. Today we are going to take a look at the 10 best Wifi Router that a large home owner cannot live without! We also have a detailed review of the best Wifi router for long range so do check that out as well. Without further ado, let’s get started!
Best WiFi Router for a Large House
Before we jump in, here’s a table with a quick comparison of the top 10 best wifi router for a large home.
|Router Name||Weight (pounds)||LAN Ports||Wireless Standard||Price|
|Linksys EA9500 (Editor's Choice)||3.25||1||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|Netgear Orbi RBK50-100INS (Editor's Choice)||3.92||3||802.11 bgn|
|Amplifi HD (Editor's Choice)||5.07||4||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Google Wifi||0.74||2||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|TP-Link AC4000||1.79||5||802.11ac, 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11a|
|Linksys WRT3200 ACM||3.57||5||802.11a/b/g/n/ac (IPV4, IPV6)|
|Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200||4.11||5||802.11ad, 5 GHz Radio Frequency|
|TP-LINK Talon AD7200||4||5||2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 802.11ad, 5 GHz Radio Frequency|
|ASUS ROG Capture GT-AC5300||7.15||9||802.11ac|
Although the market if full of options when you want to buy the best Wifi router for a large house, you might at times feel a little overwhelmed. You need to weigh in the pros and cons and understand the technicality of the Wifi routers before picking the right wireless router for your home or apartment. And for this reason, we have done all the hard work for you and put together a list of the top 10 wifi routers for a large home.
1. Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 – Excellent for Long Range
Although it comes with a hefty price tag, the Linksys Max-Stream AC5400 is one of the best wifi router for a large home. This tri-band wifi router covers a 3000 sq ft house like a champ and you can seamlessly connect up to 25 devices including your smartphones, laptops and tablet computers.
- This router is probably bigger than most of the routers that we have reviewed. It comes with eight non-removable, but adjustable antennas and a panel with eight LED bars that function as notifiers during the boot or when you are performing a firmware upgrade.
- You have a WAN port, eight Gigabit LAN ports, single USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports respectively. The usual power and reset buttons are provided along with a wifi enable/disable and a WPS button.
- This feature-rich router comes with three wifi bands. A 2.5GHz and two 5GHz bands. The MU-MIMO technology built in the router along with the 1.4GHz dual-core processor delivers excellent performance.
- The Linksys smart wifi setup utility makes the installation process very easy. You just need to connect the router to your Laptop or your PC, navigate to linksyssmartwifi.com and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the close range test for 2.4GHz band, the router delivered a speed of 98.9 Mbps. In the 30 foot test on the 2.4 GHz band, the EA9500 scored 79.1Mbps.
- Coming to the 5.4GHz test. The EA9500 delivered 450Mbps in the close-range and 258Mbps in the 30 foot range. Overall, pretty decent speeds.
- The router’s file transfer results turned out to be average. It scored 35.3MBps and 38.5MBps on our 1.5 GB file write and read tests respectively.
- Good number of LAN ports
- Excellent throughput
- Average file transfer speed
2. Netgear Orbi – Best Wifi Router for a Large Home
Although a little pricey, Netgear Orbi is one powerhouse when it comes to being the best Wifi router for a large house. Even without its mesh extension, this is one of the most powerful routers that we have tested.
- If you want to fill your large home with large-speed Wifi, Netgear Orbi does an excellent job.
- The Orbi has a dedicated channel for router-to-extension data traffic that helps in generating the maximum throughput for your multiple devices.
- Orbi transmitts data in three radio-frequency bands. A primary 2.4GHz, 5GHz and a dedicated second 5GHz that is used to transmit data from the router Orbi to the Sattelite Orbi.
- You get a good amout of ports at the back of the device.
- Installation of the Netgear Orbi is a breeze. Just connect your PC or Mac to the router via ethernet or use your Smartphone or Tablet to connect via WiFi. You can then navigtae to orbilogin via a web browser or just use the Orbi app which is available for Android and iOS.
- We tested the Orbi in a three story building. Even though the devices were 120 Ft away from the router, the connection was fantastic.
- In a 3500 sq ft. house, the router was placed in the basement and an extender on the ground floor. The reception was very good on the first floor. Speedtest showed us a result between 50 and 90 Mbps of download speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
- We played videos on multiple devices and with its MU-MIMO technology, Orbi served the videos flawlessly on each of them.
- Smart design & easy to setup
- Excellent performance
- MU-MIMO technology
- Mobile app functionality is limited
3. Amplifi HD home WiFi system – Best WiFi Router for a Large House
Okay, so if you live in a mansion and a single wifi router cannot cater to your multiple bedrooms, the Amplify HD home wifi system is the solution for you. Amplifi HD is specially designed for large houses that have walls and dense floors that obstruct and degrade wifi signals. The router features an 802.11ac circuitry with a single-core CPU that supports both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band.
- Amplifi HD comes with six antennas, which are high density and can cover up to 20,000 sq feet area.
- The satndard version, which is designed for smaller houses can cover up to 10,000 sq feet.
- The router is cube-shaped and is designed very well. In the box, you will find the router, a power supply, two mesh plug-in points, a quick setup guide and an ethernet cable.
- Five LED indicators on the router shows the signal strength. Five represents that the signal is the strongest.
- You just need to download the mobile app, connect the cable modem to your PC or laptop and tap on the connect button on the app and you are good to go.
- To set up the mesh points, you can place it at the desired places in your home and plug in in the wall outlet. The mesh points will chime and will be connected. Its that simple.
- The router delivered a throughput of 85.9 Mbps in our close range test for the 2.4GHz band. For the 30 feet test, a throughput of 76Mbps was observed.
- On the 5GHz band, the Amplify HD delivered a throughput of 450Mbps in the close range test and a throughput of 223Mbps at 30 feet.
- Excellent throughput in long range
- Setup is super easy
- Robust mesh router solution with excellent performance
- No parental control and QOS settings
4. Google WiFi – Best Long Range Wireless Router
Now, you have used Google for your day to day internet search but were you aware of the fact the Google also has a robust mesh wifi router in the market? Google wifi is one of the best wifi routers for a large house. It uses a mesh technology which provides you with seamless long-range wifi coverage.
- A very simple design that easily fits in your home.
- The mesh system alows you to position the points (also called satellites) across your home. This enables a seamless and long-range wifi connectivity in a large house.
- You can use the mobile phone app to monitor the device activity.
- You just need to setup the points inside your house and connect them together with the user instructions provided with the device, which is very simple to follow.
- In a 3000 sq ft house, we found the connectivity to be excellent.
- You cannot separte the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band, however the throughput test delivered 491 Mbps in close range.
- The 30 ft throughput test delivered a result of 175 Mbps which is very decent.
- A very practical and good looking wifi router
- Very easy to setup
- You can easily add wifi points (satellites) to extend connectivity
- Basic fetures
- No ports on the device
- Dosen’t come with LED indicators
5. TP-Link AC4000 (Archer A20) – Smart Long-Range Wifi Router
TP-Link AC4000, also known as the Archer A20 is a power-packed long range wifi router. At its core is a 1.8 GHz CPU and this coupled with the 1.8 GHz, 64-bit quad-core processor, and beamforming technology makes it one of the most advanced wifi routers available today.
- The Archer A20 has a similar design when compared to the Archer C3200. You can easily spot the six antennas that can be folded from the top of the router. These antennas are non-removable.
- Nine LED indicators are present on the front of the router that display power on/off, Ethernet connection, Internet connection, three radio bands, WPS activity and USB port activity. At the rear end of the router, you will find four gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port, USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports respectively, a power jack, a reset button and a power button.
- It boasts of the MU-MIMO technology, tri-band and blazing fast speeds with 512MB of RAM and three additional co-processors that help in a seamless video stream and gaming performance.
- Installation of the TP-Link AC4000 is dead simple using a mobile device, thanks to the TP-Link Tether app that is available for both Android and iOS. For the advance users, you can always use the web console.
- File transfer performance is blazing fast on the TP-Link AC4000
- 2.4GHz performance in the same room and at a distance of 30 feet resulted in a speed of 100Mbps and 75Mbps respectively, which is pretty good.
- On the 5.4GHz, the Archer managed 465Mbps on close proximity, and 191Mbps tested at a distance of 30 feet. Both the numbers are ok, but not that great.
- Great performance in medium and long range
- Easy setup
- Offers voice control if you are using Alexa
- QoS service ensures smooth data transfer between devices
- Performance on the 5GHz range is sub-standard
6. Linksys WRT3200 ACM – Open-Source Wifi Router
Linksys WRT3200 ACM is another addition to the WRT family of routers. The special thing about this router is that it enables you to play around with the router’s stock firmware. This can be replaced with an open-source firmware to offer customized settings and capabilities.
Along with MU-MIMO technology, the router supports Tri-stream 160 technology which essentially doubles the 80Mhz channel speed on the 5GHz band. This helps in delivering better throughput, although you must have clients that support Tri-stream technology. All these features make this one of the best router for a large home.
- The body has a familiar balck and blue design that houses four removable and adjustable antennas.
- LED indicators show the status of the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands along with the usual LAN, USB, WPS ports and power status.
- On the back, you will find four Gigabit LAN ports, one WAN port, a USB 3.0 and 2.0/eSATA combo port, a WPS, power and a reset button.
- At its core is the 1.8GHz dual-core processor.
- The installation is quick and easy. Once you have connected the router to your PC or Laptop, you need to navigate to linksyssmartwifi.com on your address bar and follow the on-screen wizard to set up your wifi router.
- The Linksys WRT3200 delivered an excellent throughput of 569Mbps on the 5GHz band in our close range test. At a range of 30 feet, the router delivered 238Mbps.
- The performance was not that great on the 2.4GHz test though. The router delivered a throughput of 76Mbps on the close range and 58.5Mbps at a range of 30 feet.
- The file transfer speed on the router was blazing fast. The write test with a mix of music, documents and photos delivered at a speed of 74Mbps and the read test at 88Mbps
- You can use an open-source firmware
- Blazing fast speed at 5GHz band
- Value for money at an affordable price
- Throughput at 2.4GHz is poor
7. ASUS AC3100 – Best for Gamers
ASUS AC3100 is certainly one for a large house. We tested this router in a two-story house that is 2300 sq ft. The wifi signal traversed from the bedroom to the living room and all the way to the garden with ease! When connecting multiple devices, the router didn’t disappoint either. This makes this a good contender for the best wifi router for a large house.
- ASUS AC3100 comes with four high-powered antennas.
- If you enjoy gaming, you will love the game accelerator built in the rouer that provides you with a smooth gameplay experience.
- For smarter network security, ASUS has collaborated with TrendMicro which can be implemented in your router.
- If you are one to access wifi on multiple devices, the MU-MIMO technology comes to your rescue.
- Just follow the installation wizard for a smooth setup.
- The 1024 QAM technology enables the ASUS AC3100 to deliver 80% faster speeds at the 5GHz band and 66% faster speeds at the 2.4GHz band.
- You get nice wifi converage for a large home up to 5000 sq feet with the 4×4 antenna design. This allows a 33% increase in 2.4GHz band coverage.
- File transfer is blazing fast on this device thanks to the powerful 1.4GHz dual core processor, offering transfer speeds of up to 100Mbps.
- You don’t have to worry about band selection anymore as Asus SmartConnect chooses the best band available automatically in order to deliver optimum speeds.
- Modern features
- Good support, firmware upgrades are pushed frequently to fix bugs and issues
- Steep pricing
- Few optimization settings can be a little confusing at times
8. Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 – Smart WiFi Router (R9000)
If you want to future-proof your home wifi, the Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 is the smartest solution available to you in the market today. The AD7200 is specifically designed for large homes and without reviewing this router, our best wifi router for a large home list would have been incomplete.
The AD7200 is very feature-rich. Right from the MU-MIMO technology to the 60GHz 802.11ad networking as well as the 160MHz wifi technology, this router has it all. It also comes with a 10G SFP+ LAN port, which is only seen on enterprise-level routers!
- At first glance, you willl notice that the Nighthawk X10 it pretty big in size. It has got four adjustable antennas with blue LED lights that light up when the router is powered on.
- LED indicators are present on the front of the router that show the status of the 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 60 GHz radio bands along with the power, two USB ports, guest network, six Gigabit LAN ports and the 10G SFP+ LAN port.
- The R9000 comes with a 1.7GHz quad-core CPU that can deliver a throughput of 800Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1733Mbps on the 5GHz band.
- Once you have connected the router to your PC or Laptop, you need to navigate to routerlogin.net on your web address bar and follow the on-screen wizard to set up your wifi router. Very easy!
- The Nighthawk X10 delivered an excellent throughput of 558Mbps on the 5GHz band in our close range test. At a range of 30 feet, the router delivered 392Mbps which is excellent if you have a large house.
- The performance was also good on the 2.4GHz test. The Nighthawk managed 99.1Mbps at the close range test and 73.3Mbps at a range of 30 feet.
- The file transfer speed on the AD7200 was excellent. The write test with a mix of music, documents and photos delivered at a speed of 33.2MBps and the read test at 44.1MBps
- Excellent performance on both the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz bands
- One of the best wifi router for a large house
9. TP-LINK Talon AD7200 – Excellent New Features
TP-LINK Talon AD7200 is expensive, it’s big but it was also the first router with 802.11ad to enter the market. Feature-wise, it’s one powerhouse and hence, proudly makes it to our list of the best wifi router for a large house.
- The Talon AD7200 comes with eight antennas that can be folded inside into the body of the router when not in use.
- You will find nine LED indicators on the front of the router. These show the status of the power, the 2.4GHz, 5GHz and the 60MHz band, WPS, internet and ethernet connectivity and the USB 3.0 status.
- The back panel of the wifi router contains a WAN port, four Gigabit ethernet ports, power and reset button and a two USB 3.0 ports.
- A 1.4 GHz dual-core processor powers the router.
- The Talon AD7200 can be installed with ease. You just need to connect the device to the network and open the tplinkwifi.net web page on your computer. The device can then be configured via the setup wizard using the quick setup option.
- In the 60GHz performance test, The Talon AD7200 delivered a mind-boggling result of 945Mbps for close range.
- On the 5GHz and the 2.4 GHz close range test, it delivered a throughput of 440Mbps and 98.9Mbps respectively.
- On the 30 feet test for the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz band, the Talon A7200 delivered a throughput of 237Mbps and 79.8Mbps
- For the file trasnfer test, we moved 1.5GB of data consisitng of photos, videos and flat files. The Talon offered a read speed of 56.8MBps and a write speed of 27.9MBps.
- Exemplery performance on the 60GHz band
- Excellent performance on the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz band
- Value for money
- You need compatible 802.11ad devices to take full avantage of it’s high speed features
10. ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 – The Gamer’s Choice
Do you have a large home and you are a gamer? Look no further than the ASUS ROG GT-AC5300. Powered by a quad-core processor, state-of-the-art technology, this is a high-end, tri-band wifi router that’s one of the best router for a large home without a doubt.
- This router is big. The ROG (Republic of Gamers) logo is hard to miss on the router and is something that you definitely want to show-off to your friends. The router comes with eight adjustable antennas that are removable as well.
- To check the stauts of power, 2.4GHz & 5GHz activity, WAN, LAN and WPS, six tiny LED indicators have been provided.
- You have eight Gigabit LAN ports, a power and a reset button and two USB 3.0 ports on the back.
- The router is powered by a 1.8GHz quad-core CPU, 256MB of flash memory and 1GB of RAM and boasts of a 4×4 tri-band 802.11ac .
- Installation is pretty easy using the web console or the mobile app.
- On the close range test for 2.4 GHz band, the ROG rapture GT-AC5300 delivered a speed of 128Mbps. In the 30 foot test on the 2.4GHz band, it scored 75 Mbps.
- Coming to the 5.4 GHz test. The ROG rapture delivered a staggering 601 Mbps in the close-range and 330 Mbps in the 30 foot range. Amazing speeds.
- The router’s file transfer results turned out to below average. It scored 39 MBps and 42 MBps on our 1.5 GB file write and read tests respectively.
- Best throughput at 5GHz band
- Steady and reliable connectivity
- Very expensive
- Below average file transfer speeds
Best WiFi Router for a Large House – Final Words
This was our comprehensive review of the 10 best WiFi router for a large house. We hope this in-depth review was helpful for you to make a sensible buying decision. After all, you need to get the best value for your hard-earned money! If you have personally used any wifi router that is worthy of being a part of this best wifi router for home buying guide, do let us know in the comment section below.
Hi, I’m Ian. I’m a Cisco Certified Network Professional and I’m in love with networking. On this blog, I write how-to guides and review Wireless Routers and other network devices. You can check out my website below.