There are tons of options available in the market nowadays if you want to buy the best WiFi router for gaming. But choosing the right router for your requirement is something that requires extensive research. To save you the time, we have created a list of the 10 best wifi router for gaming that will help you choose the wireless router that suits your needs.
Best WiFi Router for Gaming 2020
Before we jump in, here’s a table with a quick comparison of the top 10 wireless routers for gaming that we will be reviewing today.
|Router Name||Weight (pounds)||LAN Ports||Wireless Standard||Price|
|Asus RT-AC5300 (Editor's Choice)||3.74||4||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|ASUS RT-N66U N900|
|Nighthawk AC3200 (Editor's Choice)||2.43||4||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|D-Link AC5300 Ultra DIR-895L/R||6.9||4||802.11ac|
|TP-Link Talon AD7200||3.96||4||802.11ad/ac/a/b/g/n|
|Trendnet AC2600 StreamBoost||1.65||4||802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 (V2)||1.15||4||802.11ac/n/a/b/g|
|Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900||1.23||4||802.11b/a/n/ac/g|
1. Asus RT-AC5300 – Best WiFi Router for Gaming
If you want to buy a gaming wifi router that simply stands out in terms of looks, then this is the one for you. The Asus RT-AC5300 doesn’t just look like a beast, but it performs like one too.
With a 4×4 antenna design, it provides unrivalled Wifi range that will give you instant connectivity in any corner of your home.
- 802.11ac tri band router boasts speeds upto 5334 mbps for low-latency gaming and smooth 4k Ultra HD Video Playback.
- 4×4 antenna design unrivalled in terms of looks as well as performance.
- Tri-Band Smart Connect feature automatically selects the fastest of the 3 available frequency bands based on the device speed, signal strength.
- Extended security features available due to collaboration with Trend Micro.
- Asus Router App lets you control your network from anywhere without the need to boot up a PC.
- USB ports on the router allow for streaming of media content directly to your internet connected PC’s on the network.
Installation of the Asus RT-AC5300 wireless router is fairly straight-forward. Once you have connected the antenna on the router and fixed the connections, you can open the web browser and open the router web page which will guide you through the entire setup process.
- A Dual Core 1.4 Ghz processor built in this router makes it easy for the router to handle multiple tasks on multiple devices without any lag. This results in flawless gaming.
- Hardwarezone.com managed to test out the RT AC5300 with several other gaming routers in the market today. Based on these tests, you can clearly see that the Asus wifi router outperforms most of its competition in terms of connectivity and allotting bandwidth to connected devices.
- Although it can be observed that the Asus RT AC5300 does offer more speeds for devices further away from the router. This should really set the router apart from its competition. Even in terms of file transfer and sharing, the Asus outperforms its competition by a considerable margin.
- Loads of features
- Mobile apps for remote management
- User interface is complicated and can take some time for a first time user to get the hang of
- Lack of LED Indicators
- Mobile app not as developed as the actual product
Another product from Asus makes our list of 10 best WiFi router for gaming that you must consider. The N66U follows the award winning N-56U making this product an ideal upgrade for those looking to bring about some much needed changes to their home networks without compromising on the reliability and performance that made the N56U famous.
- The N66U comes with 4 Gigabit LAN and 1 Gigabit WAN ports for high speed direct connectivity.
- With 3 adjustable high powered antennas, this product enables delivery of the best wireless signal possible.
- The N66U works on 2.4 GHz as well as 5 GHz bands for compatible and ultra fast data transfers.
- Comes with 2 USB ports for seamless file sharing and connectivity.
- The N66U’s 256 MB of RAM improves performance and provides stability during heavy load.
- The N66U has a simple installation process. The router automatically detects your ISP connection type and once that is done, you should be up and running within minutes.
- The Asus N66U delivers best in class wireless range and works great on 5 GHz speeds.
- This router delivers consistent speeds across the 2.4 GHz bands compared to its competitors even though it is not the fastest
- Download Master let’s users download and play multimedia files stored on a router-attached USB storage device on PC, tablet, your console or any other internet TV. It can even download files when a PC is turned off, while also allowing you to manage and monitor your download status remotely
- ASUS claims the N66U can handle multitasking of upto 300,000 data sessions at a time, although there were no issues with disconnection or slowing down when all of our devices were connected in our home office.
- Excellent performance on 5 GHz speeds
- Download Master feature allows download and streaming of multimedia files from other devices even if they are turned off
- Easy setup process
- Although consistent, speeds are relatively slower on 2.4 GHz
- Can get quite hot upon continuous usage although performance levels remain relatively same
3. Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Another best seller from Netgear, the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 is a fan favourite among heavy duty users and gamers. Even though some may overlook this product just by looking at its price, if you are serious about efficient connectivity, this spaceship looking gadget should be one your radar.
It works seamlessly and integrates all devices in your network and provides efficient and fast connectivity hence makes the cut in our review for the best WiFi router for gaming.
- In terms of looks, this wireless router comes closest to the Asus RT-AC5300 which we discussed earlier. With this honeycomb-spaceship like design, it will certainly grab your attention if not your money, when you see this placed in the store.
- With tri-band wifi technology, this device is built to connect each and every device in your home-automatically and simultaneously without much effort from the user.
- The Nighthawk AC3200 offers speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps, 3 WiFi bands, SmartConnect and Dynamic QoS to guarantee maximum speed and optimisation.
- The Nighthawk AC3200 also comes with built in compatibility with Amazon Alexa allowing you to control your home network through voice commands.
- Netgear specify that this device is designed specifically for large homes.
- Comes with 2 USB ports for easy file sharing on your network.
- With 6 high performance antennas, connectivity is not going to be an issue even in large homes where the router is placed neatly in a corner.
- Automating a home with this WiFi router is a seamless process . If you take “internet of things” seriously, this router will not disappoint.
- Installation is fairly straight forward on the Nighthawk X6 AC3200. The interface is neat and easy to understand for even a layman and makes the entire process easy.
- The installation disc that comes with the router will do everything for you just in case you do not want to go through the trouble of installing yourself.
- The Netgear Genie will guide you through the setup process and give you all the options necessary to ensure you get the best internet connectivity available on your network.
- The Nighthawk X6 AC3200 comes with a 1Ghz dual core processor that powers the device and ensures functionality even when there is an overload of devices connected.
- A random speed test generated by a user on a 50 Mbps connection gave a result of 58.37 Mbps which is great.
- Netflix, Hulu, multiplayer gaming on consoles are all a breeze with this router.
- A 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM gives the router enough flexibility to ensure all 3 wifi bands function effectively.
- This router comes with 4 LAN ports to make sure users are not devoid of an option when they require it.
- The firmware can be a bit dodgy and unfortunately there is no specific fix for certain issues as per user reviews. The only option in this case would be to get the router exchanged.
- Great connectivity throughout a large home
- Tri band wifi feature provides seamless connectivity across 3 bands
- 6 antennas ensure signal availability even in remote areas of large homes
- Dodgy firmware
- Multiple reports from users regarding loss of signal strength due to faulty firmware
- Poor customer support
Known as the ladybug because of it’s looks, the D-Link DIR-890L is one of the flagship products released for the consumer market by the Taiwan based manufacturer. Cost can again be a constraint when making a decision about purchasing this gaming router but we are not really taking that into account as much as we are focusing on the best router for gaming in this article.
So again, if cost does not worry you, this is another fantastic option to have when automating your home.
- Another good looking router that you won’t feel like hiding inside a closet. Not that it would cause any issues with connectivity even if it is placed inside a cramped cupboard, this is another good option to consider when choosing a WiFi router for your gaming needs.
- SmartConnect feature is available on this router as well allowing users to make efficient use of the bandwidth speeds available on the network for all devices.
- Tri-band WiFi technology enables connectivity through all 3 wifi bands without interference.
- Remote access and management of network features and permissions is easier with the app available for download for iOS and android.
- A 1 GHz dual core processor gives the router ample amount of power to handle multiple tasks with ease.
- 6 high performance external antennas provide additional signal strength for superior wifi coverage and performance.
- 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 port gives additional options for sharing files on your network.
- Installation of the D-Link D890 L is quite easy and provides a wide range of features for both the regular user and for the advanced users as well. The option to utilise Open Source firmware to modify routers is a sort of gift for users proficient with handling that level of technicalities.
- D-link’s DD-WRT Open Source is a Linux based operating system offering additional customisation and features.
- Based on customer reviews, the SmartConnect works best with the D-Link and did not report many dropped connections.
- QoS works well with the D-Link D890 L. You can adjust speeds and assign priorities to your devices in the network and the router will ensure the devices higher up the priority list will always be given preference when distributing bandwidth across the network.
- Gaming on this router is great providing users with additional options with NVIDIA ready gaming and streaming features
- The UI is great if you’re an advanced user, providing options to tweak and fine tune your connectivity with devices on the network. But if you’re a regular user just looking for instant connectivity, things don’t seem to go too well with the average consumer. The interface provides only the basic options and customisation can be a difficult depending on your expertise.
- Great looking device that works well in your living room
- Great for gaming
- SmartConnect and QoS work well with this product
- Poor UI especially for novice users
- Only 2 USB ports, 1 2.0 and another 3.0
- Pricing is on the higher range which can be a negative for home users
Asus is a trusted manufacturer brand amongst many users and they prefer Asus for its functionality and performance. The Asus RT-AC3200 is one of the much improved gaming routers that has been available in the market for quite a while with significant firmware improvements being brought about through user reviews and concerns.
Hence this is one that we just have to include in our list of best wifi router for gaming.
- Asus is known to make products that work as well as they look. This one is no different. With 6 powerful external antennas, with 3 transmitting and 3 receiving, this router placed in a corner of a large home will be sufficient enough to connect all of your devices and performs great.
- Tri-band SmartConnect feature to optimise bandwidth and connectivity
- Asus say that their hardware NAT capabilities remove bottlenecks between internet and home networks, enabling 2-5 times faster performance statistics, but certainly this is not something that is a considerable improvement from its competitors as it may have been tested in ideal conditions
- Trend Micro protection provides multi-stage protection against infections to keep the digital playground safe.
- Asus AiCloud allows users to access, sync, share and stream files anywhere on any internet connected device.
- Asus adaptive QoS optimises and prioritises bandwidth, allowing users to configure presets for gaming, media, streaming etc.
- The Asus RT-AC3200 comes with 1 USB 2.0 & 1 USB 3.0 port for easy file sharing across the network.
- Asus has an easy setup process that is CD free and it automatically detects hardware once you bring it online and open the web page. A quick 3-step process will help you to setup the router and configure it with all your devices and even provides all the robust configurable options.
- A 1 GHz processor comes built in to this router to allow it to perform as promised.
- 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM allows the device to store and transfer date between devices with ease
- The Asus SmartConnect gives the option of moving wifi clients between all 3 bands of 5 GHz, 5 GHz & 2 GHz, something other routers allow only between 2 of the same frequency bands.
- SmartConnect feature allows handoff between all 3 wifi bands
- Allows 3rd party programs to be installed on the router for high end users to configure and work hands on
- Good customer support
- Reported issues with frequent disconnects, which is can be resolved through a settings change from the interface
6. D-LINK AC5300 Ultra Wi-Fi Router DIR-895L/R
Another great offering from D-Link, the AC5300 makes other routers with the same specifications look feeble, mainly in terms of price though. The price can be a deal breaker for some, but again, if that’s not a worry, then this is quite a tool to have placed in a corner of your home if you’re looking for the best wifi router for gaming.
- Looks are similar to the DIR 890 L mentioned above, but in terms of price and performance, this takes things to a whole new level.
- Comes with 8 high powered antennas to ensure seamless connectivity throughout your home.
- Powerful 1.4 GHz dual core processor giving incredibly fast wired and wireless speeds.
- MU-MIMO technology enabling transmission of high speeds to all devices on the network.
- Comes with 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port for easy file sharing and transfer.
- An installation wizard helps in configuring the router to the network. If you have a DSL modem, it will need to be configured in bridge-mode in order to provide internet connectivity.
- Offers wifi speeds of up to 1000 Mbps(2.4 GHz), 2167 Mbps(5 GHz) and another 2167 Mbps(5 GHz).
- HD streaming and gaming can be done with ease and is a piece of cake for something as advanced as this.
- 8 high powered detachable antennas help to transmit signals to every corner of your home.
- One SSID broadcast manages and optimised traffic from multiple 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections.
- The device reported little to no issues even with many devices connected and working simultaneously.
- VPN Server Support helps transmit date securely when connected remotely.
- Optimises traffic through just one SSID boradcast
- Great range
- High pricing
- DSL needs to be configured in bridge-mode to access internet
- Poor customer support
7. TP-Link Talon AD7200 Multi-band Wi-Fi Router
This is the first product from this manufacturer that we have included in this list. The Talon AD7200 is one of first routers to be released in the market that works on 802.11ad. With an exceptional design, this product manages to hold its ground amongst some fierce competitors, thereby making a cut in our list of best wifi router for gaming.
- A square shaped router with 8 high performance antennas attached, this is a great look to have in your living room if you like having these products kept in plain sight.
- The Talon AD7200 also works on tri-band technology, something they like to call multiple-band, offering combined speeds of up to 7200 Mbps.
- Comes with MU-MIMO technology serving multiple devices simultaneously.
- Beamforming Technology enables strong and reliable wireless connections.
- Comes with 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 port for file sharing.
- The Talon AD7200 comes with standard installation procedures by connecting the device to the network and opening the web page on your computer, the device will take your through the setup process and you will have it up and running in no time.
- This router offers speeds of up to 800 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band, 1733 Mbps in the 5 GHz band and 4600 Mbps on the new 60 GHz band.
- Offers great range and can rival its fierce competitors in this domain
- An Amazon reviewer tested the router range by leaving his house and was able to get a signal from a house a block away from where the router was placed which is great.
- The first router to work on 802.11ad, this technology has not become mainstream yet so testings have not provided with the most accurate results.
- For ac and n speeds, the Talon was fared average in comparison to other dual- band routers.
- Competitive pricing
- First router to come with 802.11ad
- Great signal strength and reliability
- Known to be average on ac and n speeds
- USB file transfers are slower but not noticeable
8. Trendnet AC2600 Streamboost MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router (TEW-827DRU)
After covering the best products from the best manufacturers, we decided it’s time to explore outside of the mainstream choice and stumbled upon the Trendnet AC2600. This router offers most, if not all the same features that your Asus or Netgear routers would offer at a lower price range.
Although this may not be as fast or as good as the AC3200 series of routers, this does what it does pretty well and hence is one of the best wifi router for gaming.
- Looks may not be a strong selling point for this router. With 4 detachable high gain antennas that look like they’re placed randomly at the back, it still does provide a stable connection in most homes.
- Quad-stream feature transmits speeds up to 1733 Mbps wifi ac and 800 Mbps WiFi n bands.
- A high performance 1.4 GHz dual core processor ensures it can handle multiple tasks on multiple devices.
- Pre-encrypted WiFi feature for added security
- Since this product is tailored for the consumer market, the setup process is fairly intuitive through a simple guided setup that will get your router up and running in minutes. The web page is easy to manage and has most of the necessary options available on your home screen.
- Powered by the Qualcomm IPQ8064 chipset and a 1.4 GHz dual core processor, this is quite a strong configuration for a router aimed at attracting consumers.
- Compared to the other routers above, this one comes with 512 MB of RAM which is still enough as long as you’re not comparing.
- MU-MIMO technology offers steady streaming and sharing through multiple devices.
- With 2 USB 3.0 ports, you can take full advantage of the latest USB technology and share and stream data on your network with relative ease.
- An integrated VPN server takes things to another level with added security and secure file sharing.
- An integrated BitTorrent client is also available which adds to the attractiveness from a consumer perspective.
- Easy and intuitive setup process
- Great product for the price
- BitTorrent client built in for those download freaks
- Rebooting the router can sometimes delete the settings requiring an additional step from the router web page to complete that process
- Reported gradual drops in speeds from time to time although firmware releases have managed to resolve the issue
9. TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (V2)
Going by the cost effectiveness of a product, the TP-Link Archer C7 punches well above its price point. TP-LINK have really taken a positive leap forward from the version 1, that was allegedly a nightmare for some Mac users being kicked out or disconnected. But this version improves greatly with some new features that makes a statement to all the other manufacturers. This is one of those budget gaming routers you must have.
- The Archer C7 comes with 3 internal antennas placed on the body to reduce co-channel interference allowing the 3 external antennas to make full use of the 5GHz wireless band. This is great engineering on TP-LINK’s part.
- The device comes with 2 USB 2.0 ports and no USB 3.0 ports which is something that has not been looked into on the Archer C7.
- The setup is easy and fast to configure with a neat interface and there are plenty of features to choose from.
- This router uses Beamforming Technology efficiently to transmit and receive data as well if not better than the more higher priced products available in the market.
- Parental controls are easily accessible and work on 3rd party programs.
- Installing the Archer C7 is simple and does not require more than a few minutes. The interface is crisp and provides easy access to the most relevant options well.
- Lack of MU-MIMO support devoid this router of more efficient management of bandwidths.
- The performance on the 802.11ac band is impressive compared to some Trendnet and Netgear router that are much higher priced.
- The C7 has a 720 MHz processor and 128 MB of RAM which is sufficient for a regular sized 2-3 bedroom apartment so it is on the slower side compared to some of its competitors.
- There are issues users have reported, about decreased upstream speeds on 802.11ac bands even with continued firmware updates, but is impressive with its downstream speeds which is more important.
- A bargain for the price tag compared to the excellent performance
- Smooth uninterrupted performance
- Simulator to try out choices before implementing it on the device
- Customer support is not great
- User interface can be confusing for some
10. Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router
The last product of this review, the Linksys EA7500 is not one to lag behind. With dual-band wifi and speeds up to 1.9 Gbps, this device does work quite well in a medium to large home without any interruptions or disconnection, which make it one of the best wifi router for gaming.
- The EA7500 comes with 3 external antennas help transmit the signals efficiently across 2 bands around the house.
- Easy to configure settings to configure 4K, gaming consoles and all the usual stuff you would have connected in your home.
- Comes with 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 port for easy file sharing and streaming.
- AC WiFi allows all devices to receive the same speeds at the same time.
- Smart-wifi app allows you to maintain and configure settings on the go with ease.
- Installation on the EA7500 is easy and provides loads of options to make users want to spend time to make full use of the router’s performance. No CD is required for installation and everything is configured easily from the user interface.
- Provides great range and works all around a medium sized home, even if you’re outside in the yard, the connection remains active and stable.
- Dual-band Technology works great on this device combining the 5GHz channels and transmitting at the fastest speeds.
- The latest MIMO technology offers great connectivity for gaming on multiple devices.
- Some users have complained about frequent disconnects and having to reboot multiple times.
- Wifi range does drop quite steeply as you go far from the router intermittently which can sometimes be frustrating.
- Easy configuration and access to the most essential features
- Works great on fast internet speeds
- Smart wifi app lets you control your network from anywhere
- Not great at transmitting at longer distances
- Can sometimes be buggy and require reboots
Best WiFi Router for Gaming 2020 – Final Words
This was our comprehensive review of the 10 best WiFi router for gaming. We aim to provide the best information available out there so that our readers can decide the best fit for them as per their budget. If you have another gaming WiFi router to add to this list that you have personally used and think would be a good fit here, do let me know in the comment section below.