17 minutes read
Are you looking for the Best WiFi router for long range? You’ve come to the right place! In our previous post, we listed out the best wifi routers available in the market for gaming. In this post, we are going to help you decide the best router for your home if you’re looking for a good long range wifi router. Here are the top 10 best routers available for long range WiFi connectivity.
Best WiFi Router for long range 2020
Before we jump in, here’s a table with a quick comparison of the top 10 wireless routers for long range that we will be reviewing today.
|Router Name||Weight (pounds)||LAN Ports||Wireless Standard||Price|
|Google WiFi (Editor's Choice)||0.74||2||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Netgear Orbi RBK50-100INS (Editor's Choice)||3.92||3||802.11 bgn|
|Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400 (Editor's Choice)||2.8||4||802.11a/g/n/ac|
|AmpliFi HD Home Wifi System||5.07||4||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Linksys WRT 3200 ACM||3.57||5||802.11a/b/g/n/ac (IPV4, IPV6)|
|Netgear Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router D7800||1.85||5||802.11ac/n|
|TP LINK AC1900||2.99||4||802.11a/c|
|TP-LINK Talon AD7200||1.15||4||802.11ac/n/a 5GHz|
|Starry Station||3.2||1||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
There are tons of options available in the market nowadays if you want to buy the best WiFi router for long range. But choosing the right WiFi router for your requirement is something that needs extensive research. We have created a list of the top 10 wifi routers for long range that will help you select the wireless router that suits your needs.
1. Google WiFi – Best Long Range Wireless Router
In today’s world, Google has the answers to all our questions. Now Google is offering a complete wifi connectivity system that integrates your devices all over the house with ease and most importantly, without cables.
Needless to say, it is one of the best WiFi router for long range.
- A minimalistic design that just sits quietly in a corner of your home.
- A set of points that need to be connected after positioning them all around your home, this allows for seamless integration of all devices across a large home.
- Control and monitor activity through the app on your phone
- A simple setup process involving connecting several points across the house. This process is easy and can be done within a few minutes. Google has gone for practicality with this long range WiFi router and delivers quite well in that regard.
- Google WiFi surprisingly delivers good speeds throughout the house without any drops in speed.
- Although if you are a tech freak and look at every minute detail in terms of performance, then you’re better off looking at the mainstream options available in routers like Asus and Netgear.
- But when it comes to erasing the line between performance and practicality, Google does a pretty good job at that.
- Smart looking and practical
- Easy setup within minutes
- Easy to add wifi points for extended connectivity
- No ports
- Lack of LED indicators
2. Netgear Orbi
A manufacturer that has made a name for itself in this domain and excelled many a times, Netgear now aims at simplifying the process of internet connectivity through Orbi. With a host of other competitors releasing these minimalistic WiFi routers that are meant for a regular home user, the Orbi is a great product to consider when looking for the best WiFi router for long range.
- Another minimalistic and smart looking product that aims to deliver the best in class speeds and make the process of installation simpler.
- The Orbi app allows for seamless control across all devices.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa.
- Even on a device as small as this, Netgear has not forgotten its loyal user base by adding ample number of ports at the back.
- Another WiFi router with a fairly simple setup process, this device can be connected directly to a wall socket and will connect to the internet with a few simple steps.
- Dedicated WiFi connection between router and satellite helps maximise speeds and connectivity for a 4K streaming and file sharing.
- Tri-band WiFi technology allows all of your devices to be connected at all times and the Orbi enables your devices with the highest speeds possible with a coverage of over 5000 sq ft.
- The Orbi uses a separate quad-stream 5 GHz band with a tops speed of 1.7 Gbps to connect the main router and satellite unit. This band can not be managed by users and separates itself from the other bands.
- Easy setup process
- Smart compact design
- Separate connection with satellite and router that enhances long range wifi connectivity throughout the home
- Poor customer support
In this article, we are mainly looking at the best WiFi router for long range. The AmpliFi HD Home System is another router in the category of smart compact long range WiFi routers delivering the best speeds at any corner of a large home.
- The AmpliFi Home System comes with a touchscreen display allowing users to configure and setup the router directly from the device.
- WiFi mesh technology enables complete coverage for your home
- The AmpliFi app enables powerful management of your network
- App shows all your connected devices with the signal strength as well as the access point they’re connected to.
- A touch screen display which is a first for a router makes installation easy and involves not more than a few simple steps.
- The main router screen displays all the relevant data you need to configure your WiFi router within minutes even if you’re not a tech-savvy person.
- The mesh network style that this router possesses makes connecting to the router easy and delivers great speeds even in large homes where you may have a device which is situated in a corner far from the main router.
- The speed has been known to vary from 40-50 Mbps at a certain point to 15-20 Mbps in certain areas. But overall, the router delivers efficient performance without much hassle.
- Beam forming technology allows tailoring of transmissions as per the requirements of a device.
- AmpliFi states it can provide coverage of around 20000 sq ft which blows away its competition when it comes to the best WiFi router for long range.
- Great for long range
- Simple setup process
- Mesh technology allows for seamless connectivity throughout the home
Having covered some simplistic designs for long range WiFi routers, it’s time to get back to basics with the Billion BiPAC 8900AX. This router comes packed with lots of technical features that you probably won’t even need but it’s always good to know your router secretly packs a punch.
- Billion makes products specifically for UK but it is worth mentioning because of their design capabilities and performance.
- The 4×4 antenna design makes this one of the best WiFi router for long range and connects all the devices in your home with ease.
- Dual band 802.11 ac connections deliver wireless speeds upto 1800 Mbps and 802.11n band with speeds of upto 600 Mbps.
- Streaming HD AND 4K videos is a breeze with this device.
- With an easy to use UI and quick installation, the Billion BiPAC router will connect your home to the internet without much effort from your side. The user experience has been known to be pleasant even for a regular non tech savvy user.
- Although the price of the router can disappoint a few and make them look elsewhere, the benefits of this router in terms of performance and long range WiFi connectivity is unparalleled.
- Dedicated high powered amplifiers for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands provides ultimate wifi coverage.
- Comes with latest MU-MIMO technology enabling all your devices to be connected and delivering consistent speeds throughout.
- 1 USB port included at the back allows for easy file sharing.
- The first router in this list with QoS for traffic prioritisation and bandwidth management.
- Great performance in medium and long range
- Easy setup
- QoS service ensures smooth data transfer between devices
- Price may be an issue unless you’re willing to compromise on that aspect
- Only 1 USB port
Linksys has gone retro wth the design of this WiFi router and it certainly has its own appeal. The Linksys AC3200 comes packed with loads of features to make tech freaks drool all over. This router reminds me of a dystopian futuristic device packing a punch and of course it is one of the best WiFi router for long range.
- With Tri-Stream 160 technology, your bandwidth is doubled and Linksys claims it to be the fastest dual band of any WiFi router available in the consumer market.
- MU-MIMO technology provides fast speeds to all devices on the network.
- Open source ready firmware allows high end users to configure and tweak settings as per their requirements.
- Smart WiFi app allows users to manage the home network from anywhere.
- Quick installation process that does not even require opening the user interface from your PC.
- The Linksys AC3200 comes with 4 high powered antennas that help in broadcasting signals throughout a large to medium sized home.
- MU-MIMO technology allows for simultaneous streaming seamlessly across all devices.
- A 1.8 GHz dual core CPU with 512 MB RAM and 256 MB flash memory gives this router enough juice to enable functionality like IOT across your home.
- ESATA port at the back allows for easy file transfer.
- The Linksys AC3200 delivered excellent performance of about 115 Mbps with a ping of 7 ms on Ethernet.
- Open source firmware
- Feature-rich router
- Affordable price compared to other routers in the same
- Reported issues with connectivity when there are walls in between the devices
- Not everyone may like the utilitarian look of the router
When discussing WiFi routers for long range, Asus deserves a mention in any list. The Asus RT-AC88U provides ultra fast speeds in long range and looks like an alien life form placed in a corner of your home. This router packs loads of features that enables optimisation and easy configurability to make all your devices work efficiently.
- With 4 high powered antennas, this beast delivers fast speeds of upto 3167 Mbps on 802.11ac dual band.
- The Asus router app lets you control your network from anywhere.
- Built in game accelerator from WTFast let’s you enjoy smooth gameplay in multiplayer.
- Collaboration with TrendMicro enables smarter security within your network.
- MU-MIMO technology helps connect multiple devices with faster access to internet.
- The installation wizard will take you through the complete setup process and help in connecting all your devices to the internet within minutes.
- With 1024 QAM technology, the AC88U delivers 80% faster 5 GHz at upto 2100 Mbps, 66% faster 2.4 GHz at upto 1000 Mbps
- The 4×4 antenna design allows a 33% increase in 2.4 GHz coverage upto 5000 sq ft which should cover a large home.
- With a powerful 1.4 GHz dual core processor, data transfer is a breeze on this device with speeds of upto 100 Mbps.
- Asus SmartConnect automatically chooses the best band available to deliver optimum speeds.
- Great futuristic design
- Consistent firmware updates fix any reported issues fairly quickly
- High pricing
- Settings to optimise router configuration can be confusing for some
The X4S from Netgear comes in 2 versions, the R7800 which is just a router and the R7800 that comes with a modem so you do not need all of the junk your ISP provides and you can get rid of that. This is genuinely one of the quickest and the best WiFi router for long range available but devices need to have the capability to handle the speeds this router can provide.
- A super fast, high end long range WiFi router is a tag you can safely put on this device.
- A 4×4 antenna design allows consistent connectivity to all your devices.
- This all black device is packed with LEDs in the front that provide information regarding connectivity which can also be turned off with a switch at the back.
- The Nighthawk promises to deliver speeds of upto 1733 Mbps from its 5 GHz band and around 800 Mbps from the 2.4 GHz bands.
- The device comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports for easy file sharing and transfer.
- Installation can be a little tricky for those not familiar with router configurations since this product does not come with any documentation. But once you get past those minor roadblocks, you should be good to go.
- The Nighthawk X4S improves performance on home networks quite well by providing very little difference in upload and download speeds even when multiple devices are connected.
- On a 100 MBps connection, this router manages to provide at-least 60-70 Mbps speeds with minimal drop in speeds.
- The X4S is fast. Basic tasks like printer and file sharing, backing up your data can be performed in minutes.
- Competitive pricing
- First router to come with 802.11ad
- Great signal strength and reliability
- Known to be average on ac and n speeds
- USB file transfers are slower but not noticeable
Having covered this product in one of our earlier posts, this product does deserve a mention in this category as well.Finding a router that meets all your specifications without making holes in your pockets is not an easy task. But the AC1900 comes close to being a great product at an affordable price range.
The AC1900 offers support for 802.11ac and dual band networks and makes the cut in our list of the best WiFi router for long range.
- The AC1900 comes with 3 dual band detachable antennas to provide maximum coverage and reliability.
- Comes with beam forming technology for higher efficiency in wireless connectivity.
- A 1 GHz dual core processor ensures no interruption when processing and performing networking tasks.
- Printer sharing and network printing is a breeze with this router.
- This products comes with both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports.
- The AC1900 is easy to install and does not take more than a few minutes to get up and running on your network. A few easy steps through the web config utility will get this device running your network and provide enough juice to power most of your devices.
- The TP-LINK AC1900 delivers great performance for the price range it comes in. Compared to routers priced higher than $300, this router still manages to old its own weight and comes through quite well.
- After running a few tests, this router gives a considerable bump in speeds over its competitors.
- File sharing through USB as well as printer sharing can be done with ease.
- Easy setup process
- Excellent value for money
- Excellent WiFi range
- Poor customer support
Design is one of the key features in making a great router. The Talon AD7200 does a good job of standing out on those grounds. With 8 high powered external antennas and beamforming technology, TP-Link has made a great attempt at competing with the big guns when it comes to the best WiFi router for long range.
- With wireless 802.11ad support, this product offers the latest in wireless technology enabling faster speeds than Gigabit Ethernet.
- The Talon AD7200 runs three separate bands, 60 GHz(4600 Mbps), 5 GHz(1733 Mbps) and 2.4 GHz(800 Mbps).
- MU-MIMO technology allows the router to connect to multiple devices at once to help speed up connections.
- A 1.4 GHz dual core processor manages all your connections and leaves plenty of juice available for other functions
- With 2 USB 3.0 ports, the TP-Link Talon allows users to transfer files, music, movies, photos on any devices on your network with ease
- The Talon AD7200 comes with standard installation procedures by connecting the device to the network and opening the web page on your computer, the device will take your through the setup process and you will have it up and running in no time.
- This router offers speeds of up to 800 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band, 1733 Mbps in the 5 GHz band and 4600 Mbps on the new 60 GHz band.
- Offers great range and can rival its fierce competitors in this domain.
- An Amazon reviewer tested the router range by leaving his house and was able to get a signal from one block away from where the router was placed which certifies its long range WiFi connectivity.
- The first router to work on 802.11ad, this technology has not become mainstream yet so testing results have not provided with the most accurate results.
- For ac and n speeds, the Talon was fared average in comparison to other dual- band routers.
- Competitively priced as compared to other routers in the same performance range
- First router to come with 802.11ad
- Great signal strength and reliability
- Average speeds in ac and n bands is a disadvantage
- USB file transfers have been reported to be slow
10. Starry Station
We’ve all seen some really innovative and unique designs for routers in recent times. But the Starry Station looks like the future of WiFi router design. If you’re looking for a device that simply merges with your home decor and people might not even notice something like this being a router for your home, then this device does a great job at that. With touchscreen navigation and a brand new UI for a router, we are truly going high end with this one. Plus its one of the best WiFi router for long range.
- The worlds first router with a touch screen that allows users to easily navigate through settings and controls, the Starry Station is truly one of a kind at the moment.
- A plain white triangular shape with a screen on one side and a few ports at the back give this device a sleek finish that sits quietly in a corner of your home.
- This device has a lesser number of ports compared to its established competitors as it aims to promote complete wireless configuration across your network.
- The app for your phone allows you to configure parental controls, setup a guest network and versions other options giving you complete control over the device and your network.
- Starry Station brags about its customer support and claims instant support is available in case anything goes wrong or if you require assistance in setting it up.
- Installation of this device is quite easy, with its touchscreen interface, you can have this router running in minutes. Instant customer support is available too in case you face any problems setting it up.
- This router is built for simplicity, not performance. So if you’re a high end user wanting to squeeze out the most juice out of your bandwidth available, then you’re better off looking at the mainstream options.
- Starry Station gives you a steady and reliable connection throughout your home once it’s setup.
- The device is equipped with just 2 Ethernet ports, one of which is the WAN connection for your modem or gateway.
- Equipped with dual band 4×4 MIMO 802.11 ac(a,b,g,n) bands, and powered by 2 dual core processors, the device has enough power to ensure seamless connectivity throughout your home.
- The device’s touchscreen allows you to keep a track of your bandwidth at all times to ensure your making the most of your bandwidth allocated by your ISP.
- The main thing going for this device is it’s stability. This device works reliably over continuous use and rarely suffers disconnections or lags during sustained usage.
- Touchscreen allows users access to most of the routers features without the need for an external device
- Steady and reliable connectivity
- Instant customer support
- Few physical ports make it difficult to connect devices using wires
- Fan noise can be quite evident after frequent
Best WiFi Router for Long Range 2020 – Final Words
This was our comprehensive review of the 10 best WiFi router for long range. We aim to provide the best information available out there so that our readers can decide the best fit for them as per their budget. If you have another long range WiFi router to add to this list that you have personally used and think would be a good fit here, do let me know in the comment section below.