3 minutes read
Today, we will be talking about the best budget router that you can buy in 2020. After evaluating a bunch of products, we have a winner – TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N. Why is this wireless router the best cheap WiFi router in the market? Continue reading this review to find out all the essentials details about this WiFi router.
As always, our aim is to provide trusted information to our readers to help them take sensible buying decisions.
TP-LINK N300 TL-WR841N Review – Best Budget Router 2020
- The N300 out of the box feels sturdy and compact and build quality feels robust.
- It comes with 5.0dBi dual antenna for better wireless capability. It supports the old 802.11 b/g as well as the new 802.11n.
- As the product name suggests it supports speeds up to 300 Mbps.
- It comes with features like IP based QoS, allowing to set bandwidth speeds for devices.
- Other features like parental lock, multiple Ethernet ports, network security encryption using WPS are also available.
- The N300 can easily setup with various ISPs. For the ones who have the techie bone inside them, the settings inside the router allows you to choose the Wi-Fi channel and play around with other settings.
- The parental control feature provided in the N300 is excellent.
- Installation is incredibly simple, a two button push literally. The router comes with an instruction booklet and a built in tool that can be used for the setup as well.
- The router also comes with an Ethernet RJ 45 cable required for the setup, no USB support is available. Also it requires an ADSL or cable modem to be operational; a check with your ISP would be advised before purchasing.
- Performance of N300 is above average considering the fact that one would be spending only a little amount of money to own one.
- For the wireless performance, when the devices connected is within the same room or is in direct line without walls it gives best strength and bandwidth. Put a couple of walls in-between the device and the router and one will see drop in the signal strength and bandwidth speed, though it would be the case with most of the routers in the same price range (and in case of some more expensive).
- Placement of the router is very important to make sure no corner of your room/office is deprived of the signal. The router doesn’t heat up a lot thus gives you uninterrupted connectivity (provided your ISP is up all the time) without periodic reboots, even if kept ON for weeks.
- Configured backup and tested a restore after resetting the router and it worked flawlessly.
- Set up channel separation on my network and got good results from extended distances.
- We have tested this router in a 1600 sq ft house and have not encountered any issues with respect to the signal and wireless speed.
- Pocket Friendly
- Reliable Brand
- Sturdy design and robust build quality
- Easy to install
- Less heat issue/No hanging
- Above average performance
- 3 years Replacement Warranty
- Works perfectly for basic usage
- Too basic
- No USB support
- Package does not contain information where the firmware upgrade can be downloaded from.
- Not ideal for bigger and multi-storey houses.
- People have complained that the average router life varies between 6 months to 1 year and that the support is not that great.